This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Saturday, February 20, 2010

I have the Battery Packs

This is a bit retrospective as I have had the packs for about a week now. They are the same as the one shown earlier in this blog except that they are black AND they are 48V, not 60V. I will be using 12 of 48V20AH packs making a 576V total.
I immediately pulled the lid off one.
Sorry about the poor phone quality photo - I'll update when I take my camera to work. That's where I'm storing them for now because it's pretty much always below 22 degrees C. The charger for one pack is next to it.
I have to modify the way the pack cells connect to the terminals on the pack. I won't document it here as I am already running a thread on it on the AEVA forums here. It's on the technical side so don't bother looking unless you want the gory details as it also involves changes to the BMS (Battery Management System) electronics boards. (Edit: 16 Dec 2013 Fixed link to AEVA post)

1 comment:

Spliner said...

These look very good... I am doing a motorcycle conversion at the moment and am trying to figure out battery options. Looking at skyenergy 60ah batteries but I am concerned about mounting and size.

I would think that 4 of these 48volt packs or 4 36volt packs would give me a very good equivalent range and power. Since these can run at larger discharge rates.