This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Motor Terminal Box Height Adjustment

I have a problem that the terminal box on the motor is too high, preventing me from placing the motor just where I want it (See Motor Positioning a few posts ago). I bought a diecast box from eBay but it really doesn't fit well - I would have to modify it.
Someone suggested that I cut down the terminal box I have by clamping my angle grinder. Off to Bunnings (large hardware store) for an aluminium cut-off wheel. The orange plastic let me slide the terminal box easily.

The bucket in the background is because the terminal box got VERY hot. I had to dunk it in water after each side. I left the corners slightly intact until the sides were cut through. I made a huge mess - aluminium shards and dust everywhere. (I cleaned it up before taking this photo - sorry!)

 
  
The lid will be too large now so I will get some 2-3mm aluminium sheet and make a new one.
 
 
 
 I will have to fill the old cable entry gland holes with epoxy and drill & tap new holes for the cover (and make a cover) but at least the really messy part is done.

No comments: