This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Monday, April 22, 2013

Economy for Last Week and Full Current at Stall

Power economy was pretty similar to last week.

Week ending 19th April 2013:
Monday 11.86 for 48.92 km => 145 Wh/km
Tuesday 10.1 AH for 48.1 km => 126 Wh/km
Wednesday 7.33 for 34.12 km => 129 Wh/km
Thursday 9.93 AH for 39.5 km => 151 Wh/km
Friday 10.75 AH for 47.83 km => 135 Wh/km

All battery to wheel.
Thursday was the day I recorded serial logs. Typical that it was the worst day.
The Vogue has now traveled 636 km as an EV.

Friday I played around with different PWM frequencies. I hadn't realised that I wasn't getting full current at stall until I tried 4 kHz flat-top (see previous post). Suddenly I got good acceleration from stationary. The only problem is that 4 kHz is annoying. I tried a few combinations during the day and was only on the last trip to Doncaster (up a significant hill) to pick up William (son) that I tried the last pre-supplied switching frequency combination.

It's 8 kHz SIN auto-switching to 2 kHz  when current exceeds the 8 kHz limited value.
It works perfectly. I had full current from standstill, same as the 4 kHz configuration but no noise when not heavily accelerating. Unlike the 16/8/2 kHz configuration, it apparently applies the correct current limits when switching PWM frequencies.

It made a huge difference. There was a small hill turning out of a driveway that William and I had always wondered if the Vogue would handle once it was going (challenges of direct drive). It was no problem. It may have been another story with the 16/8/2 kHz configuration that I have been running since the car was on the road.

I'm not driving the Vogue this week. I have decided that I'm shaking it to bits (a couple of the chargers have rattled their voltage output down by half a volt or so - trimpot movement) and I need it going for Sunday. With Thursday a public holiday here, I'll do the axle stand thing again and check out Richo's (AEVA) theory that it may be resonance in the motor cradle. I'll also be a lot more critical of which end the vibration is coming from.

2 comments:

calibration said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!



Electrical Calibration

Johny said...

Thanks for the kind words.