This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Second day as Daily Driver

I drove the Vogue to work yesterday. By the time I had visited the driveshaft balancing folk and done a joyride or two, driven back home, then taken William to his activities and picked him up again, the Vogue had travelled 58.8 km on 14.1 AH. That equates to 144 Wh/km (assuming 600 VDC).

Today I braved the tollway and went on Eastlink for about 4.2km. Other than the driveline vibration, it was quiet and easily reached 100 km/h. I was surprised that it only needed about 12 kW to maintain 90 km/hr. Entering Eastlink, I accelerated up the on ramp and projected range was 58 km by the time I reached 90 km/hr. Two sections later I de-accelerated down the off ramp (Ferntree Gully road) and the projected range was now 66 km. The range estimate was clearly influenced by the heavy acceleration and upwards ramp getting onto the tollway.

The combined Trip and projected Range is currently sitting at about 75 km after the trip to work. Curiously it exceeds the spreadsheet projection which indicate I should have used 3.77 AH - I have only used 3.2 AH. I didn't travel at 100 Km/h for more than a few seconds - 90 km/hr was the traffic speed in the left lane.

A current picture of the Vogue (well almost - it's got a tiny little driver side mirror now). William took this picture for a Coffee mug he had made for my Christmas present. It was a heat sensitive surface where this picture and another of the pre-converted car emerged when it got hot.

The current state of the Engine Bay. I have left this picture at full resolution.

No comments: