This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Friday, January 29, 2010

Motor positioning

I have been messing around for a week now with the motor mounting within the Vogue body.
I always knew that the terminal box on the motor was going to give me grief but I was hoping that I was being pessimistic - I wasn't.
Here is a near final drawing of how I intend to mount the motor and 2 of the battery packs. The front of the car is to the right.


Now here is the problem.
I have overlayed a line diagram of the Vogue chassis with the body to help with visualisation.
The terminal box on the motor is around 80mm high. On this drawing I have dramatically reduced it's height - maybe about 20mm. You can see it will still hit the transmission tunnel roof. I can move the motor further into the engine bay but that is a comprimise that I would like to defer if nothing else can be done.

My current investigation involves removing the end caps and rotor from the motor and reversing the whole lot. That will place the terminal box on the other end of the main body of the motor. Curiously, that's how the motor looked in the original diagrams sent to me before the motor was made.
This image tells it all.
I have emailed the motor manufacturer basically asking if it is within my capability to do this and whether the end caps are "reversible".

No comments: