This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum:

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Restoration Progress in Little Steps

Someone at work asked me a few days ago whether I had stopped working on the car as the blog hadn't had anything new in about a month. Well, I have been doing lots of stuff but it's all pretty trivial (as compared to the electric bit anyway). Here are some photos of a few things that have been happening.

I have stripped back all the woodwork and applied a few coats of marine clear. I hadn't done the glove box door and my better half said that I should get on and strip that back as well. I had been holding off because the glove box door appeared to be in good condition which makes it harder to get the old varnish off (later I decided this isn't true).
Anyway I did, and it's a different colour walnut to the dash. The dash isn't the one off the car - it's a spare I had. You live and learn.
Shame because I have already made the generator light hole a lot bigger to fit the forward/reverse switch.
(First hole to the left of the steering column cut-out).

So I stripped back the REAL dash and it's a lighter colour - surprise!
Notice that the hole to the left of the steering column is small.

Partially finished glove box door and original car dash with no finish on it.

Painted engine bay - drivers side. The big hole is for the steering column grommet and used to also be for the gear change shaft. The steering box has been checked out and serviced by Mitcham Power Steering. It has been painted and is ready to go back in when I decide what to do about the old rubber grommet (unable to get a new one).

Engine bay passenger side. The big holes here had plates over them. I painted them separately and they have been slightly modified.

Another small bit - the bonnet catch. Stripped, painted and rebuilt with a SMOOTH action. I figure the bonnet will be opened a LOT!

The whole engine bay. The engine bay colour matches the new paint on the roof. I left the original moonstone colour on the little bit above the firewall - slightly less blue...

  You can't see much here but the quarter vent windows have been totally stripped and I'll rebuild them with temporary rubber while I wait for a set of real ones (150 sets being made by a guy in Australia). They are about 6 months away and the car should have been on the road for some time by then (Hmm).

No comments: