Here is the custom modified, tapered version. Brass terminals cut down to just-long-enough and the thermistor (temperature measurement device for motor) cable gland moved to the "other" side where there is more room in the transmission tunnel.
I cut the mounting for the terminal block down so far that I felt I had to add a bit of "meat" to strengthen it. You can see the pink body filler in the mounting holes (filled then drilled then countersunk a little bit).
On motor. I bought a 1.5mm thick piece of Neoprene rubber which covers the whole underside of the lid to provide electrical insulation for the very-close brass terminal bolts - instead of just having a gasket around the edges. The cover plate hasn't got the 6mm bolts in it yet but they should fit.
A bit further back to give an idea of size. The black wire is for the motor thermistor.
I did my first big crimps last night for the three motor cables and I'll show them as I connect up some wiring soon.
Now to get the motor back in....
Later addition May 2013
This is perhaps the only picture I took of the shaft encoder before improving its IP rating (using a spray can lid). The encoder is only IP21 and is the little black gizmo on the end of the motor. This picture was taken around March 2010.