This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Monday, August 30, 2010

Final Terminal Box for Motor

My old nemesis, the motor terminal box is finally solved (cross fingers because I haven't actually put it back in the car yet). This time I cut it down with a hacksaw. (See previous terminal box changes).

Here is the custom modified, tapered version. Brass terminals cut down to just-long-enough and the thermistor (temperature measurement device for motor) cable gland moved to the "other" side where there is more room in the transmission tunnel.
I cut the mounting for the terminal block down so far that I felt I had to add a bit of "meat" to strengthen it. You can see the pink body filler in the mounting holes (filled then drilled then countersunk a little bit).
Side view.

On motor. I bought a 1.5mm thick piece of Neoprene rubber which covers the whole underside of the lid to provide electrical insulation for the very-close brass terminal bolts - instead of just having a gasket around the edges. The cover plate hasn't got the 6mm bolts in it yet but they should fit.

A bit further back to give an idea of size. The black wire is for the motor thermistor.

I did my first big crimps last night for the three motor cables and I'll show them as I connect up some wiring soon.
Now to get the motor back in....

Later addition May 2013
This is perhaps the only picture I took of the shaft encoder before improving its IP rating (using a spray can lid). The encoder is only IP21 and is the little black gizmo on the end of the motor. This picture was taken around March 2010.

No comments: