This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More Accelerator Pedal Stuff

Well it turns out that there is no way that the VW pedal will fit. It wants to be mounted halfway through the fresh air duct.
Seeing as how the Audi pedal has a metal arm, it follows that it can be modified. A colleague at work does a bit of welding so I asked for help. He had a great idea that I should place it in position and make some V cuts then bend it to how I wanted it. He would then do some fillet welds to fill the V cuts. I didn't quite do what he asked (V cuts too small) but I made it fit perfectly and he expanded my tight little cuts and welded it up. I even got a free paint job (thanks Jens).
Here it is roughly in place with one bolt holding it that I drilled for the bonnet release cable which now has no home - (next problem).

 Another perspective. You can just see the rejected VW pedal in the right foreground. I would prefer the accelerator pedal being closer to the floor than the brake pedal and I might do a little better than shown if I forgo some pedal travel, but it's pretty close.

Now to figure out how to secure the bottom when I don't have access to the other side of the panel (twin panels on mudguard), and to devise a new position for the bonnet release (see just above old accelerator in the previous post).

No comments: