This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pack #2 BMS Monitor board

Well I'm not sure why the LED blows up but the board definitely has some issues. The low voltage side of the opto-coupled circuit (left side) appears fine but the higher voltage side has clear indications of electrolysis or corrosion of some kind.

When the car is off there is 50 VDC across two of the tracks that run side by side (third and fourth tracks up on the right hand side of the big gap).
Perhaps they had moisture on them when I heatshrunk the board.
Anyway - I have built a brand new one and I will clean and apply a conformal coating to it before heatshinking it.

It looks like I'll be looking at failures down the track but over the next couple of years I should have the packs out and I'll build replacements when required.

No comments: