This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Friday, April 19, 2013

Second Week as Daily driver

Not much to report about the Vogue other than I have driven it every day this week with no issues. I logged data from the dashboard to and from work on Thursday and some interesting things came out of it. The major one being that my acceleration up to 4 km/h is slower than 4 km/h to 70 km/h. This has to do with the controller de-rating it's output below 5 Hz.

This isn't a hard problem to get around - in fact by changing it's "carrier" or PWM switching frequency to 4 kHz the problem goes away - but it's too noisy. I currently use 16/8/2 kHz auto switching where the controller auto-changes based on motor current but it appears to have an idiosynchrosy that retains the 16 kHz current limit even when it's auto switched to 2 kHz. It looks like I'll have to add some function blocks to switch it over.


My logging laptop on the passenger floor.

A timer on the carport 15 A power point would be handy too. I currently go out each night at 11PM to turn my chargers on. I have bought a 16 A timer in a nice outside enclosure but I have to add some leads and install it. Soon....

I'll post the daily economy figures for this week during the weekend.

No comments: