This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Accelerator Pedal

The humble accelerator pedal.
The Vogue doesn't use a cable like many modern-ish cars.
It uses a system of rods and levers that result in a fair bit of complexity.
A = rod going across right to left and from cabin to engine compartment.
B = lever that causes rod to rotate.
There are lots more levers and rods under the bonnet.

I looked at potboxes, hall effect pedals for EVs and such but all had their disadvantages for the Vogue. A potbox would have me using the existing pedal arrangement and the EV pedals are quite expensive. I bought a cheap twist-grip throttle in the hope that I could couple to that but - no good.

I even bought 3 hall effect sensors and while they were in transit I saw an Audi A4/A6 accelerator pedal and sensor on eBay. An original Audi part - brand new.






A good look at the existing Vogue pedal also showed it was cracked at the base and I would have to replace it anyway.


The Audi pedal price was good and after I had a look at how it mounted on an actual Audi (thanks Neil) - I bid for and bought it. Half the price of a potbox even with shipping from the UK.
This means I can rip out all the standard complexity and just mount this in the cabin.
The connector off an old Audi wiring loom cost me almost half again what the pedal cost.
If I apply 5 volts to a particular pin and ground to another, I measure 0.7 to 4.7 volts out of it with full travel - I can use that!

No comments: