This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Thursday, May 21, 2009

First the Restoration

A lot has happened since I wrote that first entry and I'll try to document it in the next few weeks. I got off to an excessively complex start. I'll try not to get too carried away with details again.
The most important thing at this stage is that the Vogue paint job is in very poor shape. The thing that attracted me to the car 11 years ago is now its undoing.
The bonnet, roof and boot lid have all crazy-cracked (of course you can't see it in the photo).
I got the price of a complete respray down a bit by having me remove and reinstall all the metal trim. Above is a before shot.

Now with all the trim removed. I will remove the black fresh-air inlet and fuel filler down at the painter's place. I'm glad I decided to do this myself, even though it took pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. This way I get to restore all the chrome work before it is reinstalled.
Unfortunately they are not ready for the car until 30th May so here it sits with masking tape keeping out the rain out from all the holes where the trim clips have been drilled out.











What a way to reduce drag. Now you see it...













Now you don't.

No comments: