This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

All Wheels back on

The front wheels were finished on schedule on Saturday and I put them back on the car Sunday.
 The front wheel looks pretty odd here as it's not sitting in the wheel arch properly due to jacking the front up on the crossmember. The wheels need to roll to settle the suspension again (or jack under each wishbone).

In this photo extracted from the second drive video you can see the normal position of the front wheels in the arch.

I spent three hours under the Vogue on Sunday afternoon struggling with the driveshaft front bolts. No matter what I did I could not get my hex-head bolts to pull the universal joint yolk up to the coupler. After a couple of hours (and a rest for my bruised fingers I must admit) I came to realise that the holes in the coupler were out by a very slight amount and that the uni yolk was drilled for 3/8 inch bolts. A 10mm threaded bolt would go through but was an interference fit. That and the slight hole mis-alignment meant I didn't have a hope. I removed the whole driveshaft and drilled the yolk holes out to 10mm - it then went in relatively easily. The yolk centres on the coupler with an internal "ledge" - the bolts are not used to centre it, so it should be fine.

So the Vogue is drivable again. All that remains before I take it for new tyres is to black mastic (seal) some of the window rubbers where water could leech onto the headlining, and to finish the door linings.

No comments: