This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Horn Relay Mounted and Wired

The original Vogue did not have any relays in it. The result that on a wet, rainy night with heater, wipers and headlights on, beeping the horn got no sound at all. The rest of the time they worked fine. Just too much voltage drop in the wiring.

The relay location is just above the left "fender" where the original Generator regulator used to live.
I did something I said I wouldn't do - I modified the Vogue wiring loom.
Not too serious - I removed wires that extended the loom to the Generator. They were redundant and messy. It was the first time I have got greasy and dirty since beginning the re-assembly process. When I unwrapped the loom tape there was lots of oil and grease underneath. They also used black tar tape about every 100cm which made a heck of a mess. The remaining wiring here is original except I removed two large spade connectors and replaced them with 6.25mm spades so that they would plug onto a standard relay.

No comments: