This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum:

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Door Liners ready for fabric

I finished punching out the holes in the door liners and we laid one of the front and one of the rear door liners out to see how we would cover them. The rag stealer was nosing around.

Here is one without the black silhouette in the way.

The orginal liners were covered in red vinyl with vulcanizing in several strips under the armrest area.

We decided to do two or three strips of silver starting where the vulcanizing starts at the bottom but not going quite to the armrest (the two smaller holes through the vulcanized area). When we laid fabric on the liner it was apparent that, even though the fabric has a foam backing, that the backing was not thick enough - it felt cheap. I'll buy some 3mm foam backing to go behind the fabric.

At some point in the past two weeks I made the decision to use the constant current balancers on all the battery packs in the car, not just the ones that showed errors on the drive - I just didn't mention it here. I have been moving the balancer chargers from pack to pack as each pack got to 59 VDC (3.69 x 16). Every pack has taken more than two days to reach internal cell balance - thats about 9AH (for a 20AH cell pair). The packs were certainly not correctly charged. The last two battery packs are on the 180mA constant current balancer chargers now - nearly there!


Matt said...

How thick is the new door card compared to the old one? if there is a couple of mm difference, it can cause you pain getting the seam edging stuff on, and even letting the doors close. This can be solved by either (a) pinching the door card with pliers (before you cover them) around the edges to make them skinnier, or (b) making them slightly smaller than the originals, but making the covering material extend a little beyond the edge.

Johny said...

The new door card is 3 ply and is exactly the same thickness as the orginal stuff - the clips fit nicely. I took your counsel last time you mentioned this and we are only running the foam padding to within 12mm of the edges. I'll do a masking tape dummy run before gluing anything down for the first panel. I have cut the new panels about 1mm smaller on all sides (than the old ones) and the velour can be stretched in quite tightly. Even with all this I understand it might be touch and go....