This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Monday, March 11, 2013

Motor Is Out - again

I stripped the engine bay on Saturday, went for a day trip to see a relative in Shepparton on Sunday, and removed the motor on Monday (today). I decided not to remove part of the finished interior to use the "rope trick" to get the motor off the jack.
Picture from July 2010

Instead I had two helpers use a wooden pole to hold the rear of the motor cradle up while I slipped the jack out. I load tested the pole with my weight before trying this. They indicated that they don't really want to help put it back in the same way (It wasn't easy). The red arrow is pointing at the pole - picture taken just before I went inside to fetch Laurel and my daughter's boyfriend to help (no-one is safe!).
Picture today (11th Mar 2013)

Since never got around to taking a picture of how I increased the IP rating of my little shaft encoder I took the opportunity this time. I had siliconed a spray can lid over the encoder - see red arrow. The black steel ring, also siliconed up, has a small gap in the silicone at the bottom to allow condensation to drain. (Blue arrow points to silicone around spray can cap).

I had to remove the spray cab lid again and was pleased that the silicone, which was past "use by" at the time (getting a bit jelly like), held on nicely. I'll use fresh stuff this time.
Shortly after this picture was taken I took the rotor out. It's in the boot of the Super Snipe now.

No comments: