This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Vogue Almost Together again - shunt wire wrong!

The Vogue engine bay is almost back together. During the re-fit, I am using a lot more split conduit tubing than I originally installed after reading about a commercial EV converter's product that appears to suffer from "chaffed wiring" amongst other things. I've probably gone a bit overboard. There are many places where the traction wiring is now triple insulated but better safe than sorry. I'm also trying to neaten up the control wiring a bit.

The shunt wire for my chargers arrived and I find that Ni-chrome wire is just as it always was - not able to be soldered. We crimped on some pin crimps but the resistance worked out almost double what it should have been and varied under physical stress so I gave that away as a bad idea.

So - I have ordered ten 0.015 Ohm shunts from element14. I didn't really need ten as I can make up half of the shunts from two of the old removed shunts soldered together but the price break was ten.

I didn't want to use these originally as they are a bit large (lead spacing). I just have to assume that I can bend them without any problems.
I was really annoyed to see that that element14 have dropped their free shipping on any internet order so its probably the last time I'll use them. It's not that much of a detour for me to go past another electronics supplier on my way to work.

No comments: