This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lower Battery Cradle gets a Bottom

I am unhappy with the way the 3 battery packs fit into the motor/battery mount in the front as there is no support for the middle of the battery packs and they tend to sag a tiny bit (these three mount on their sides). I have bought a piece of 3mm thick aluminium sheet 300 x 600mm. Of course, when I tore the rubber off the lower mount (where the packs sit) half the black paint came off. I have to clean off the rest of the glue and repaint it - then I'll silicon the aluminium sheet into the bottom of the tray (sparingly - just to stop it moving).

The packs sag into those big gaping holes. I thought the packs would be strong enough but they are not.


I have cut the sheet to fit and hopefully tonight I'll cut the slots for the battery hold-down straps.
A bit of paint then fit it in - maybe tomorrow.

No comments: