This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Back into it - Rear packs permanently mounted.

We took a brief holiday up to Hepburn/Daylesford on Wednesday/Thursday (just the better half and me) - back Friday lunchtime so I didn't get much done since my previous post. On Friday afternoon I removed the rear packs, added the tie down straps and mounted the tray permanently. The tray is held in by 6 x 1/4"  high tensile bolts with large flat washers under the bolt head and and underneath the car (not that the Vogue bodywork needs them on the underside).
I also added the charger connections and made the BMS monitoring cable then added the connectors to the cable running up to the engine bay. I used a DB-9 male/female pair. I had a little setback when upon testing the BMS monitoring. Pack numbers 2 and 5 didn't light up the Blue LED. Pack 2 had a cooked LED (to enthusiastic with heatshrink me thinks) and pack 5 had the +/- connections for the 12V enable back to front (didn't I test that?). I fixed both of them Friday night. I haven't mounted the rear chargers yet.
Here is a picture of the five rear packs plugged into their chargers temporarily.

The packs without the blue LEDs on are already charged and are balancing internally.

No comments: