This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Boot (Trunk) Electrics

Even though it's been a month since I last posted, stuff HAS been happening - just slowly.
The rear of the car will hold 5 of the battery packs, the mains inlet/charger sequencer (controlling the 12 chargers not coming on all at once), and the rear high-current contactor and fuses.

This is the are of the boot where the fuel tank lived. It was mounted vertically in the Vogue with the filler on top of the guard. There are two mounting points, one on the guard and one coming off the rear of the car. They uses a metal strap to hold the tank.

Here is what I need to mount.
The left hand one has a circuit breaker and earth fault relay and my logic/relay board. The right hand one is almost the same as the fuse/contactor box in the engine bay.

Since my welder person is unavailable I will build the mounting bracket from aluminium angle and lots of 6mm bolts and nuts. Step 1 - two vertical pieces of angle and some support.

Step 2 - horizontal pieces space vertically to fit the mounting holes on both boxes.


Poking the camera into the gap in the guard you can see another piece of angle to support the front mount laterally.

 The boxes mounted. I have put the dummy battery below them to check for fit. I will have to remove the cover on the mains inlet/charger controller box the get the battery pack out but that's OK.

View from the rear of the car showing the bigger picture. I have since pulled the whole lot out to weigh it and paint that area of the boot as it looked pretty gungy with old fish oil stains.

Now I know where the rear contactor box is located (I didn't really know until I did it) I can install the front to rear conduit and start the high current wiring.

No comments: