This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Monday, April 2, 2012

Charger Fan failed!

The car is not even quite on the road and I have had my first electronic failure. A couple of weeks ago I was doing a top up charge on the batteries. It's pretty easy to check if all the packs are at charge completion because the chargers stop cycling on and off. When they cycle on it's obvious because, in the quiet of the garage at night, you can hear the charger's fan - and the fan only starts when the pack allows full current during charge. I happened to be around the back of the car when I saw the charger for Pack #2 light it's red LED - but no fan noise. So last week I pulled the charger out and removed the fan.
The faulty fan.

Fortunately for me there has been a large project at work that used these 40mm, 10mm thick 12V fans so I asked today if there were spares - and there were (thanks Brian). The replacement is 0.8W and the bad one is 0.06A (0.72W) but the extra 6.7mA should be OK.

The new fan.

No comments: