This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum: http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/

Friday, June 29, 2012

Motor Coupler "nipped up".

One of the things on my to-do list was to tighten the M12 bolt that holds the motor coupler to the 38mm motor shaft (after it had been taken off then put back on again). I was reticent to use anything that would scratch the nice red paint job on the coupler.

So last night we fired up the controller, reduced the maximum RPM to around 50 RPM and I put a torque wrench on the bolt while William (13 yr old son) pressed the accelerator until I said "STOP" - at around 70NM.

Ya gotta love motors that develop torque at 0 RPM.
Sorry, no pictures, I was a tad busy and it was too cold under the car to do a set-up shot.


I also wasted some time copying the front footwell trim cardboard to corflute to find out the fit was terrible (the original was the problem).



The blue is what I cut away to make it fit and the red is what I have to add.

I'll do them again.

No comments: