This blog documents the restoration, and conversion, of a 1965 Humber (Singer) Vogue to a fully electric vehicle. The Vogue will be powered by an 11kW(modified), 3 phase industrial AC motor, controlled by an industry standard Variable Speed Drive (VSD) or Inverter. To be able to produce the 400 volts phase to phase the VSD will need about 600 VDC of batteries. A big thanks to the contributors on the AEVA forum:

Friday, March 9, 2012

Front Passenger Seat Back Elastic Fitted

Back in this post I indicated that I was buying some elastic webbing to replace the old rubber diaphragm on the upright part of the passenger front seat.
Well I came home early today and made some progress.
 First I fitted my vice to the workmate, then one by one, cut each piece of elastic and clamped the ends.

The fancy rubber cutters (orange handled things) I bought  a year ago for this kind of thing weren't much use, hence the scissors (to the left of the strap). Thats' one...

Then, seeing as how I have misplaced my pokey tool, I used a 12V circuit tester to poke the hole through the elastic - the clamp already has a hole in the centre - how convenient.

Then insert one of the original wire hook thingys (someone please tell me what to call them) in both ends and...

One done.

All done - then I even had time to blog it. I only finished about 20 minutes ago.

By the way - this is how I determined the length of the elastic.
I measured the distance hole to hole for each of the seven strap positions on the seat.
Then I fiddled around pulling and testing the elastic and figured that I wanted a typical 500mm piece of webbing to be made from about 430mm - that gave me what I though was the right amount of "stretch". Since the wire hook things took off about 40mm all up, the formula became.
Webbing Cut Length = (hole_to_hole - 40) * 0.86
So I cut each webbing strap to that formula.
We will have to wait for the foam to go on before we see if I was right. It's a bit firmer than the old rubber support.

Funny thing - often in these past few posts when I want to type "Elastic" it comes out "Electric".

No comments: